1. Environmental Impact
- Nicholas Kusnetz: Energy Dept. Panel Warns of Environmental Toll of Current Gas Drilling Practices. ProPublica, Nov. 10, 2011
- The SEAB Shale Gas Production Subcommittee
Ninety-Day Report – August 11, 2011
- Mike Sorgahan: Frack Study’s Safety Findings Exaggerated, Bush EPA Official Says. NYT, May 20, 2011
- Joe Logan: Deep-Shale Gas Drilling. Concerns for farmers and rural communities. Ohio Environmental Council 2011
2. Good Media Sources
- ProPublica: Fracking — Gas Drilling’s Environmental Threat
Excellent independent source that does investigative reporting on fracking issues.
New York Times: Drilling Down.
Articles in the Drilling Down series from The New York Times examine the risks of natural-gas drilling and efforts to regulate this rapidly growing industry.
3. Legal & Social Issues
- By Ian Urbina and Jo Craven McGinty: Learning Too Late of the Perils in Gas Well Leases
An excellent, in-depth article on the drawbacks of leasing land for fracking, on the sales-pitch strategies, landowner protection, and the legal fine print in leases.